COD is typically in season in the UK during the winter months December through to February, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t available. Add the below ingredients to next week’s shopping list and plan this one in for your fish Friday.
You can buy quality frozen Cod steaks from the supermarket, most Codfish now are caught and processed at sea, then frozen straight away while onboard the fishing boats. Cod is a low fat fish and a good source of protein, phosphorus and niacin, a raw 100 grams is only 90 calories!
The sauce and garnish offer summer flavours through mixed cherry tomatoes, basil, chilli, lemon and garlic, topped off with the added supplement of Tailored Wellbeing’s Electric Lemon CBD oil drops.
Cod meat is delicate and easily flakable, I suggest using a quality non-stick pan or skillet when cooking this recipe. If possible, buy deeper looking fillets of Cod because the thin pieces will cook very quickly. Take care as Cod cooks very fast, so be careful not to overcook it. It only needs 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
For the White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1/2tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 175ml cup dry white wine (I suggest Pinot Grigio)
- 100g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 30mls fresh lemon juice
- 1/2tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/2tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4ml of Electric lemon CBD oil drops
For the Cod:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 chunky deep fillets of Cod
- Salt and pepper
Step 1, the White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the crushed chilli flakes and garlic and sauté for 1 minute, or until you really begin to smell the garlic aroma.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook, occasionally stirring, until they’re soft, but still hold their shape, 8 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine, stir, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add in the basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, sugar, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now this is the time to add the CBD oil, squeeze the 4ml into the sauce and stir thoroughly.
- Set the sauce aside, now move onto the cooking the fish.
Step 2, the Cod:
- Pat the Cod dry with kitchen towels. Season both sides of Cod with sea salt and pepper.
- Put the Cod in the pan, always lay fish away from you into the pan, due to the high water content hitting the oil it is less likely to spit hot oil onto the bottom of your wrist.
- Cook until golden brown on one side, up to 3 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Gently turn the Cod over and continue cooking it for another 3 to 4 minutes, OR until it’s cooked through and just about to flake apart.
- Pour the white wine tomato basil sauce over the Cod, let the sauce warm up for a minute, then remove from heat and serve at once.
Serve with saffron boiled new potatoes and summer al dente greens, fill a glass with White Wine and enjoy the weekend.